6.05.2010

Beach body...

I'm blessed to have good genes to enhance some good jeans (and T-shirts).  Part of my physique is genetic, my torso was always shaped in a way that would make toning and definition not much of an issue.  Add that to my high metabolism and my occassional hyperactivity (I do sometimes have a hard time sitting still...even when I sleep) and you have a recipe for physiological success, I'm ready to be casted for 300. SIKE!

Ok, so as the years wear on, and the date of my last Track & field competition gets further away the reality of regular life seems to settle in and the battle against the bulge begins to take center stage.  Along with the genetics of my torso comes the reality of the preacher belly (My pops doesn't drink beer, but he does preach, hence the name) that my Pops has, and his brothers, and his fellow clergymen.  I'm no preacher, and I'm no beer drinker,  AND I'm still in my 20s, so needless to say I'm not ready to part with my six pack in place of a keg. Work schedules, fast food, social life, and my culinary adventures in the kitchen all seem to work against the maintenance of my midsection, biceps, triceps, glutes, pectoralis majoris, latissimus dorsi, etc (i think you get the picture).

So, what does a real man do in the face of a battle? He becomes proactive, reads, plans and executes.  I picked up two books recently at an intellectual splurge at the famed bookstore Strand in Union Square. Both books were a dollar (I know hardly a splurge but I purchased more than these two).  One teaches about Core strength and the other is a book about exercise and diet by T.O. (yes Terrell Owens).


The Core Connection by Chris Robinson is an explanation of how your core can be strengthened using pilates workouts and a healthy diet of moderation and smart eating to activate your powerhouse.  The core (abdominals, lower back, buttocks) are an integral part of all major sports and will improve your posture while helping prevent injury.  I suggest this book for anyone who has been curious about Pilates and who may be looking for ways to sculpt your midsection from subpar to sexy.

Finding Fitness by Terrell Owens (with Buddy Primm & Courtney Parker) is both a motivational book and a sort of reflective book from the troubled, talented football star.  Due to numerous magazine cover cameos as well as a reality show most know that TO has an incredible physique. He uses resistance bands that you can find on Bodylastics website.

You don't have to purchase the whole set. I haven't yet.  But I'm not trying to spend 100/mo for a gym membership or 400 for someones hyped up infomercial. So, I got some resistance bands (not TO's) and I started reactivating my good genes...just in time for the beach...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails