3.20.2010

Fatherhood Fridays!!

I must apologize for the tardiness of this post.  Friday is almost over.  But I will still look out for all my fathers out there (and mothers who love them...)


I'm learning that resources are very important for fathers looking for places to take the kiddies during the weekend.  Often times we do the most dismal, boring things because we are not in the "mommy-know" circles.  As opposed to forming an alliance void of the opinion of mothers, I challenge you fellas to reach out to moms and ask them which valuable events do they take their tots to so that they have a great weekend.  You don't have to always sacrifice fun for education and vice versa, there are some venues that have found a way to very creatively weave education and fun together to create a win-win situation for all parties involved. The perks, there are several, I'll name a couple though.  If you get your kid going all day saturday, you can get them to bed earlier.  Also, you'll find your little prince or princess making some great observations, connections with that experience and by extension, with you.


Example, I took my son to an event at John Jay College: LITTLE ORCHESTRA SOCIETY-LOLLIPOP CONCERT SERIES .  The ending Lollipop song gives him a hearty laugh and is a great cheering up tool, a moment that only he and I share.  These moments grow to be defining ones for some of our youngsters.


Below I have two great resources for finding kid friendly events, check them out:


1. TIME OUT NEW YORK: KIDS 
From Time Out New York comes the kids edition, giving you everything from free events to helpful articles.  Time out NY is my first choice for figuring out great events for my son and I. The interface is very user-friendly and pretty easy to navigate. 


2. NEW YORK METRO PARENTS 
The layout isn't as attractive as TONY:KIDS, however, it is categorized for your convenience.  With polls, articles, questions of the week and a calendar of events this is another hot website to use to plan those weekends for the kid(dies).  


Last but not least you know I gotta put something up for my fellow iPhone users:


3. BlueLeo.guide New York City 
It's a website and also an application.  The application is awesome because they use your current location to find things close to you.  For those of you who are out of state and you come to visit NY with the kiddies, this is a great app to get, even temporarily. BTW I found out about this resource through the TONY:KIDS dedicated emails.  


Now get out there and be the life of the party, the yeller of the audience, the audience of the musician or the dance partner of your toddler, I know that many of you would rather be watching March Madness, but if you work the kids out all day you can at least enjoy the prime time games...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails