3.25.2010

Thankful Thursday

I'm challenging myself to jump on the blogosphere bandwagon of Thankful Thursday. I had a rough start this morning, but I feel like finding a way to appreciate the small stuff will keep me feeling a little sane. I'm thankful for a nose that's not ridiculously keen and sensitive. I'm writing this blog from a seat on the Chinatown bus from NYC to Philly.


For those of you who are recessionisto/as you know that you can go to Philly roundtrip for $20. The catch, you may have to throw or receive some elbows in order to score a seat, and you never know how clean or smelly the bus will be. Today I crapped out. Not only is the bathroom smelly (it's an unwrittten rule that you only use the restroom in the case of extreme emergency, like your bladder is about to burst because you haven't "gone" in over four hours, or you have mudbutt and need to make sure you don't get it on the seat. Lol. Mudbutt. Otherwise, you hold it.). But some man's bag smells like his cat's #1! Yeah I said number one! Human crap and cat crap is a bad combination. So I'm thankful that my nose isn't k9-esque. Which means that my nose isn't burning, just irritated.


Last night I spent almost an hour looking for parking in Crown Heights Brooklyn. Parking sucks because of street cleaning. So I chose a spot that needed to be vacated by the 8:30, ahem excuse me, 8:35 deadline, thanks to a useless law just passed in NYC that gives drivers a five minute grace period after the time listed or on the meter. (a man is walking into the bathroom. I'm mad. He's breaking the unwritten chinabus rule!) I got up this morning and went to pick up my dry cleaning and then back to finding a parking spot that won't get me a ticket or worse towed. This took another 45 minutes! Let me clarify, I don't own a car. I was borrowing one just to take care of some fashion/travel related errands. So I'm also thankful that I don't own a car at this moment. "Parking is not a problem when you use that public option!" wise words MC Carter! That's why subway bus or walking is my anthem.

Moreover (never have a reason to use that but I'm using it right now), I'm grateful just to be alive, to be intelligent, and to be employed. Though my current location (stinky seat under stinky bag on stinky bus on stinky jersey turnpike) isn't the greatest, I'm at least at liberty to make the decision to handle business in other cities and to be able to afford it. Thank God.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

3 comments:

  1. Amen!! Have a great trip Mr. Jackson...always love your posts...you capture the city hustle and bustle to a tee..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ending. This was more more of a conversation than a formal post, and that's the beauty of blogging. That BlogPress feature is great. I just don't think I'm ready to start blogging via cell yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You learn something new everyday! Thanks for the tidbit on being able to go to Philly for just $20 bucks! Awesome! I will be sure to double check for guys with bags that smell like cat you know what and be sure to bring something worth trading a seat for if I ever have to use the chinabus. and I also didn't know about the new rule for NYC parking. Thats great!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails